RE: Re: (OT) Worst night ever. WAS Adding a ide drive to an all s csi comp uter

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Michael Kahle wrote:

> blow this one up... be sure I will NOT be sharing with anyone... a future
> employer will look me up and Google and decide he cannot afford my less than
> adequate performance.

Some of the best hardware problems are prefaced with things like

"Nah, it'll be fine"
"Hey, I wonder what happens when you do this"
"It'll be fine, it's tougher than it looks."

And/or followed by

"!*@#(* ATX power supply didn't shut off"
"Hmm, that was interesting."
"Where's the extinguisher?!?"

Actually, I'm trying to think of the last time I killed hardware, it's
been quite a long while.  I wonder if can use that as an excuse.  "It was
time for me to kill something!"

I get a strange joy out of bashing up media that I am getting rid of,
like cutting DAT tapes up with a pair of wire cutters, and bashing up
hard drive platters with a hammer. :)

I got my Adaptec 2930U for free from my brother because of an ATX power
supply.  He forgot to flip the switch on the back of the power supply,
and put the card in his machine, something shorted out, and then burned
off a few traces on the card.

A little bit of soldering and a wire replacing a particularly badly burned
off trace, and it was fixed enough for him to give to me.

Mike