Re: Making a DSL server

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 02:27, Michael D. Crawford wrote:
> That would be great if I could just do DHCP ethernet.
>
> But I have visited people who had DSL connections in their homes, that required
> them to run some windows program to authenticate.

The end-user hardware that providers give to home users and to business
customers tends to be different, since home user access tends to be more
volitale.

> My concern is that I won't have any control over the authentication required by
> the ISP.  I expect that many different ISPs will be used.  If the product is a

Ask the ISP what authentication they use???

> success in the market, it will be installed in retail locations throughout the
> US and possibly in other countries as well.
>
> I don't want the installer to have to go through a lot of pain to set up the
> authentication.  I also don't want my client to have to deal with the situation
> that the ISP refuses to provide a connection because the box is running a
> turnkey system and not windows.  Finally, I can't have the client's installer
> hacking on text config files - I have to minimize manual configuration and
> provide a pleasant GUI interface to any configuration that can't be avoided.
>
> Does Linux handle DSL authentication?  Can linux configure a DSL modem to
> handle authentication, without any use of Windows?  Is there a way I can test
> this authentication with my office LAN?

What does the xDSL provider provide and expect?
- PPPoE, or a USB modem, or a modem that outputs "regular" ethernet?
  Since it's a business account, I *presume* that it will be straight
  ethernet, but I've been wrong before...
- A single static IP address, multiple static IP addresses, or multiple
  dynamic IP addresses?

The answers to these 2 questions depends on how you configure the
network interface, the firewall, IP masquerading (if necessary),
and internal DHCP (again, if necessary).

Sincerely,
Ron

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |