Re: Making music

    Frank> I'm looking for some combination of software that will
    Frank> allow me to enter the score for each call and then say
    Frank> 'play this on a bugle'. Any suggestions on how to proceed?
    Frank> I'm basically musically illiterate.

Try abcmidi.  You'll probably also want an ABC display program like
abc2ps or abcmidi-yaps.  You have to learn the ABC language, but it's
pretty simple.   For instance, taps looks like:

X:1
T:Taps
M:4/4
L:1/16
F:http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/abc/TAPS.abc  2003-01-09 12:39:48 UT
K:G
 D3 D| G12 D3 G| B12 D3 G| B4 D3 G B4 D3 G| B12 G3 B| d8 B4 G4| D12
D3 D|\
 G8 z4||

Go to http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/ for more
about the ABC language and pointers to other ABC applications.  If you
want a GUI and have java installed, 5 line skink is a good choice.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad@laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (801) 365-6574