Random lockups using woody/sid (cron related?)

Greetings,

I've been having a strange problem with a machine running a combination
of woody and sid (mostly woody with some sid packages).  Every morning,
around 06:00, the machine locks.  X locks, I can't get a console with
control-alt-f1, I can't ssh in.  I *can* ping the machine in question.

Since this seems to be a periodic event, I suspected the daily cron
jobs.  I ran each job individually, and was not able to duplicate the
problem.

I have 5 other machines with identical hardware running the same kernel
image on woody that don't exhibit the problem.

Is anyone else having these period lockups (usually once per day).

My next step is to downgrade the problem machine to woody and see what
happens.

Details:

SuperMicro Dual P4 Xeon 2.4 Ghz, 1GB RAM, 18GB SCSI drives.
2.4.19 openMosix kernel.  (Yeah, I suspected this, but the identical
kernel runs fine on 5 other machines with identical hardware running
woody)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Jason

--
Jason Ruiter
Research Computer Engineer, Emerging Technologies Group