Re: Turning off printer and other daemons

Jeffrey Taylor wrote:
Is there a general way to disable start up of specific daemons at boot
time.  I know I can rip the whole package out, or do a "update-rc.d -f
remove lpd", but is there a more elegant way?  Some have files in
/etc/default with XYZRUN=no.  Does this work in general?

TIA,
  Jeffrey

To answer your questions:
1) This is the elegant way.
2) I don't think so.

Another method to try, though I don't think this is very debian-ish, is to remove the 'x' attribute. Slackware does it like this, but I don't think any of the System V type (Debian, RedHat, Mandrake) do it this way.

--
Genius is the talent of a person who is dead.