Re: Turning off printer and other daemons

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 17:48:10 -0600
Jeffrey Taylor <jeff@austinblues.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Is there a general way to disable start up of specific daemons at boot
> time.  I know I can rip the whole package out, or do a "update-rc.d -f
> remove lpd", but is there a more elegant way?  Some have files in
> /etc/default with XYZRUN=no.  Does this work in general?

The most elegant (and easy) way by far is to just run the command
"rcconf".  I don't think rcconf is installed by default, so you might
have to first "apt-get install rcconf".

rcconf is Debian specific (also works with other Debian-based distros
like Knoppix and Libranet). In the Redhat/Mandrake world, there's
"ntsysv" and "chkconfig" which do basically the same thing.

regards,
Robert