Sane and HP 4100C usb scanner

This scanner was working until recently.  An upgrade to sane and some
kernel recompiles have taken place in the interim.  I am seeking
advice about the sane upgrade, whether it may have broken for me.

I had a bit of trouble to set this scanner up on a sid box, quite some
time ago.  Perhaps over six months ago.  It all worked pretty ok---with
some glitches, but ok.

It took some tweaking of /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and
/etc/sane.d/hp.conf.  In hp.conf, it was trial and error, and all the
hp.conf after poring over email, lists, docs.  Then it worked.

|    #scsi HP
|    #/dev/scanner
|    # uncomment this if you're using a usb scanner
|     /dev/usbscanner0
|       option connect-device  <-- added this line
|       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Now it's stopped.  Perhaps coincident with the recent sane upgrade.
Perhaps something else?

Also, in the meanwhile, I added preliminary usb dev file system
support.  Is this a possible source of trouble?  Also, I installed, or
tried to install, a lexmark z23 printer on the same usb bus.

Now, sane-find-scanner works.

|   # Note that sane-find-scanner will find any scanner that is connected
|   # to a SCSI bus and some scanners that are connected to the Universal
|   # Serial Bus (USB) depending on your OS. It will even find scanners
|   # that are not supported at all by SANE. It won't find a scanner that
|   # is connected to a parallel or proprietary port.
|
|   # You may want to run this program as super-user to find all devices.
|   # Once you found the scanner devices, be sure to adjust access
|   # permissions as necessary.
|
|   sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0101) at device /dev/usbscanner
|   sane-find-scanner: found USB scanner (vendor = 0x03f0, product = 0x0101) at device /dev/usbscanner0

But scanimage -L fails to find a scanner.

I recompiled the kernel with usb-ohci.o and scanner.o  hardwired into
the kernel.  No change.  I have tried the unplug/replug, and replug
the usb cable.  No help.  the hp_scan utility works ok.

This looks a WHOLE lot like the earlier problems, some capriciousness
in the config files.  I didn't allow new config files to be written at
upgrade, but recently have tweaked them a bit.

I undid the usb dev fliesystem, but the situation isn't better.

Thanks for any advice.  It was sure great to have a scanner!

Alan Davis
Marianas High School

--
adavis@saipan.com                                     1-670-322-6580
    Alan E. Davis,  PMB 30, Box 10006, Saipan, MP 96950-8906, CNMI

I have steadily endeavored to keep my mind free, so as to give up any
hypothesis, however much beloved -- and I cannot resist forming one
on every subject -- as soon as facts are shown to be opposed to it.
                                  -- Charles Darwin (1809-1882)

The right to search for truth implies also a duty; one must not
conceal any part of what one has recognized to be true.
                                  -- Albert Einstein

As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
                                  -- Benjamin Franklin