Re: Sane and HP 4100C usb scanner

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 adavis@saipan.com wrote:

> This scanner was working until recently.  An upgrade to sane and some
> kernel recompiles have taken place in the interim.  I am seeking
> advice about the sane upgrade, whether it may have broken for me.

Well, I don't have any help to offer.

I have this sane scanner, and have been having a lot of trouble with it,
but I think it's problem with the usb code in the kernel.

> It took some tweaking of /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and
> /etc/sane.d/hp.conf.  In hp.conf, it was trial and error, and all the
> hp.conf after poring over email, lists, docs.  Then it worked.

I'm using the following.  The usb line is optional (was suggested as a fix
form my problem) and I was able to scan with and without that line.

$ cat /etc/sane.d/hp.conf
scsi HP
usb 0x03f0 0x0101
#/dev/scanner
# uncomment this if you're using a usb scanner
/dev/usb/scanner0
option connect-device

> But scanimage -L fails to find a scanner.

I had this problem but it was that the scanner module was not loaded.
Once the module was loaded scanimage -L worked.  I use hotplug and I
didn't have the usbutils installed, so the module was not being
"cold-plugged" at boot.

> I recompiled the kernel with usb-ohci.o and scanner.o  hardwired into
> the kernel.  No change.  I have tried the unplug/replug, and replug
> the usb cable.

You have an ohci interface?  My motherboard uses usb-uhci (I also use the
uhci module too).

> I undid the usb dev fliesystem, but the situation isn't better.

moseley@bumby:/etc/sane.d$ cat /proc/filesystems  | grep usb
nodev   usbdevfs
nodev   usbfs

My problem is that I get bulk timeouts from usb, and I/O errors in the
frontends.  xsane never works, xscanimage sometimes works.  I installed
WinXP on a spare hard drive and everything works, so it does not seem to
be a hardware problem.

I'm running 2.4.20 kernel and the following packages:

$ dpkg -l | egrep '(hotplug|sane|usb)'
ii  hotplug        0.0.20020826-1 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  libsane        1.0.9-4        API library for scanners
ii  libusb-0.1-4   0.1.6a-2.1     Userspace USB programming library
ii  sane           1.0.9-4        Scanner graphical frontends
ii  sane-utils     1.0.9-4        API library for scanners -- utilities
ii  usbutils       0.9-1          USB console utilities
ii  xsane          0.84-2         a gtk based X11 frontend for SANE (Scanner A

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org