Re: dvd playback problems and questions

-- Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote
(on Tuesday, 07 January 2003, 07:21 AM -0600):
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 11:54:26PM -0500, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote:
> > -- John <bagdanof@attbi.com> wrote
> > > I use Ogle; I solved my choppiness by turning on dma:
> > >
> > > hdparm -q -d1 /dev/hdd    (my dvdplayer)
> > Doh! I hadn't considered that I could turn on dma for a cd/dvd device!
> > That did the trick *beautifully*! Thanks!
>
> Impressive that you came close to acceptable playback without it.
I originally set up this machine to dual-boot with Win98SE so my wife
could use some statistical programs on it. We tried playing DVDs a few
times from Windows, but either a) it dropped lots of frames, or b) after
5-10 minutes it would lock up the machine but continue playing the audio
track. Very annoying.

What's impressive to me is that I now get (seemingly) flawless playback
on linux when I couldn't on Windows -- and this when Hollywood has been
hell-bent on keeping dvd playback away from "unsupported" OSes and
hardware. Go figure. ;-)

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net