Re: dvd playback problems and questions

Try to compile and run mplayer - is cool
www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Matthew Weier O'Phinney wrote :

» Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 12:42:28 -0500
» From: Matthew Weier O'Phinney <matthew@weierophinney.net>
» To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
» Subject: dvd playback problems and questions
»
» I'm trying to setup my computer to play DVDs, and I'm trying out a
» number of different programs to see which works best. Just for
» informational purposes, the machine I'm using is a 1.7GHz (PIV) with
» 256MB RAM, DVD player but no hardware DVD decoder, and an onboard
» GeForce video card (not sure which one -- I'm waiting for the computer
» to finish an fsck).
»
» Ogle is nice, and the dvd navigation menus work flawlessly. Audio syncs
» fine, but the video is a bit choppy.
»
» I've read somewhere that mplayer has dvdnav of some sort, but I can't
» seem to find it; since I primarily wish to view special features off the
» dvds, this isn't acceptable.
»
» I've been trying xine, but I have a big problem with it: every time I
» try and start it, it locks up the machine (I can't even ssh to it to
» kill the xine process!), requiring a reboot (hence the fsck noted
» above). So far, I've only tried using the Xv video output; I'm going to
» attempt XShm, but I'm doubtful it will work.
»
» What dvd playing software are other debian users using? anybody
» encounter any of these problems/deficiences? If so, were you able to
» correct them? how?
»