xinit hangs (repost)

I apologize for the repost, but I'm stuck and I'm optimistic that this
is the right place to beg for assistance.  I have gathered some
additional information, though.

I'm using Sarge on an i810.  Though I've used kpkg to recompile the
kernel, everything else is installed with apt-get.

After installing xserver-xfree86 and calling X, everything looks as one
would expect, but there is no response to the input devices.  However,
when the power button behavior in the BIOS is set "sleep/wake", pressing
the power button frees the input devices, completes the call to X.  If
posted the output of "strace -t" to
	http://www.cis.wayne.edu/mcopper/xhang.txt
The "soft reboot" occurs at 15:50:16.  I also posted the X log:
	http://www.cis.wayne.edu/mcopper/XFree86.txt

I was thinking this was a Debian problem because, I have a 2.4 kernel
and X working from a Red Hat installation (which I badly needed to
update but could not).  Comparison of the two XF86config-4 files didn't
reveal any problems that I could see.

Am I missing a package?  What exactly does the "sleep/wake" signal do?
Maybe I should just remove X and install through dselect or such?

Thanks.

Mark