Alsa Startup Question

I have recently installed the Debian ALSA 0.90rc6 packages from Debian Testing for the 2.4.19-k7 kernel. Everything seems to be working fine, but I get a message on startup about "no sound cards defined". I do get sound out of the CDROM, and all other sound sources (except midi) that I have on my system. The sound chip is the VIA8233...part of the VIA "Southbridge" chipset used on my MB. As everything seems to be working OK (xmms, Timidity, mplayer sound, etc), this message is more of an annoyance than anything else, but it does "worry" me that I might have done something wrong during the setup.

I have traced the source of this message (I think) to the alsa initscript in /etc/init.d/alsa. There is a message that matches the one I am seeing at about line 103 of the script, that will be sent to the screen if a series of tests fail. Unfortunately, my minimal coding skills prevent me from understanding what is happening, and just why the script is falling through to this line.

I have the the sound card setup in /etc/alsa/modutils/0.9 as:

 # ALSA portion
        alias char-major-116 snd
        alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx

Is there some other place I must "define" the sound card?

TIA for any help in helping me understand this...

Any thoughts on getting MIDI working with this chipset would be welcomed too!

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-