Re: make CD of only newest 3 months of sid

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 03:20:20AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 11:58, Dan Jacobson wrote:
> > Dear Debian Sirs, a few months ago I want to town and my friend made
> > me 10 cd's: _Sid_ - fsn.hu unofficial i386 Binary (20021010)]
> >
> > Now if I go to town again can I say, have him use the "jigdo"
> > mechanism to make just a few cd's that hold only the changes to sid
> > since 20021010, avoiding the embarrassment of having him do the whole
> > job over?
> >
> > Or maybe make some kind of custom CD of anything in sid newer than
> > 20021009?
> >
> > It seems any of these would me more trouble than having him burn me a
> > whole new set.  Or maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and not ask
> > for an update until say 6 months have passed... ah, the luck of the
> > piddly modem user.  (BTW, I would use apt-cdrom on the update CD, that
> > is no problem, I can handle that.)
>
> Maybe with creative use of ls, grep and "apt-cache show", you could
> create a diff list between what's on your CDs, and what's currently
> in sid.
>
> Then, you can do a bunch of "wget"s to get the updated packages.

What I did when I was in the same situation was :

apt-get update # a few megabytes
apt-get dist-upgrade --print-uris -y > file
remove every line up to 'Need to get ...'
cut the first field after that (the url of the file)

get those packages with wget -i file and put the on a cd or laptop
copy the packages to /var/cache/apt/archives

apt-get dist-upgrade -u

This worked rather well for me, although I seem to remember that
sometimes it wanted to download some more packages.

Frank