Re: hard to find out what those daemons are about

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 18:18, nate wrote:
> Dan Jacobson said:
> > I do pstree and I see "khubd".  "What could that be about?," I say.  I try
> > locate, man, apt-cache search, looking in /proc/{it's pid},
> > everything I can think of.  After removing the "k",
> > find /var/tmp/kernel-source-2.4.18/|grep hubd
> > finds some uncommented files that may have something to do with it...
> >
> > Anyway, is it really sometimes that hard to track down things one sees in
> > ps(1) output?
>
> often process that have low PID(20 and under) which start with the letter
> k, are kernel level things. in this case, khubd I believe is a kernel
> process. What it does, I am not sure, but it may be related to USB.
>
> and it's usually easy, what gives this process away to me is the low
> PID, it's enclosed in brackets, and starts with the letter k. (not to be
> confused with KDE apps :) )

Is "20" a magic number?  I've got kernel pids up to 124 (not including
nfs-related pids.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |