Re: the vanishing console message trick

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Unfortunately, though, the problem remains.

Setting vga=ask in lilo.conf didn't seem to change anything. I still got the blank screen. Also, a "grep -i tty /etc/lilo.conf" turned up negative. I did verify that the file is using vga=normal. Also, I didn't see anything obvious in /var/log/dmesg.

I've put a bunch of the files on the web in case someone else might spot something I've missed.

/var/log/dmesg: <http://www.moriarti.org/~jtc/dmesg.txt>

/etc/lilo.conf: <http://www.moriarti.org/~jtc/lilo.conf.txt>

/var/log/messages (following the latest reboot):
<http://www.moriarti.org/~jtc/messages.txt>

lspci output: <http://www.moriarti.org/~jtc/lspci.txt>

/etc/modules.conf: <http://www.moriarti.org/~jtc/modules.conf.txt>

I'm running a Pentium IV system tracking Debian testing. The video card is an ATI Radeon, Lilo's the bootloader, and I'm using a 2.4 series Kernel.

Is there anything else I should be looking at?

thanks,
Jeff