Re: hard to find out what those daemons are about

Dan Jacobson said:
> I do pstree and I see "khubd".  "What could that be about?," I say.  I try
> locate, man, apt-cache search, looking in /proc/{it's pid},
> everything I can think of.  After removing the "k",
> find /var/tmp/kernel-source-2.4.18/|grep hubd
> finds some uncommented files that may have something to do with it...
>
> Anyway, is it really sometimes that hard to track down things one sees in
> ps(1) output?

often process that have low PID(20 and under) which start with the letter
k, are kernel level things. in this case, khubd I believe is a kernel
process. What it does, I am not sure, but it may be related to USB.

and it's usually easy, what gives this process away to me is the low
PID, it's enclosed in brackets, and starts with the letter k. (not to be
confused with KDE apps :) )

nate