Re: Using an X app

Dominic Iadicicco said:
> Hello all.
>
> My question is: Do you have to run an windows manager
> in order to use an application?  Heres what I am
> doing. I am running x 4.1.0 and I am using an .xinitrc
> file for the user.  I have the .xinitrc file just
> starting mozilla and it starts fine.  I have access to
> the mouse but the keyboard does not let me type
> anything. I can use the ctrl-Alt-backspace combo.  If
> I use an xterm, I can use the keyboard.  Is there
> anyway to get a regular x app to see the keyboard
> without having to run a windows manager?

it may depend on the app. I have 1 system which only loads
xawtv in the .xinitrc, no window manager and the keyboard works
fine. usually without a window manager you need to make sure that
the mouse is on the window your typing. Mozilla is a really complicated
piece of software and may be looking to use a window manager. Try
another browser like netscape 4 or opera and see if there is a
difference. Or just use a simple windowmanager like blackbox ?

nate