multiple sounds at once with ALSA

Hi debianers,

I have an Ensoniq ES1371 (a basic soundcard) and want to have several
applications access it simultaneously. I tried esound but wasn't
satisfied with its behavior, so I installed a home-made 2.4 kernel with
ALSA, and the debian packages (alsa-base, alsa-utils, gnome-alsamixer,
and some plugins for apps such as xmms). Sound output works, but only
one application at a time can access the soundcard, the others being
blocked. I thought ALSA enabled multiple accesses on simple (1 stereo
channel) soundcards by using kernel-side mixing. Am I wrong ? Is there
an option to set somewhere ?

	Xav