animail

Dear All,

Just discovered Animail today. It is wonderful, and solves a number of
problems I've been contemplating for awhile.

It does, more or less, the same thing as Fetchmail, but comes with
several major advantages. For one, it's easier to set up, but that's a
minor issue. What's really great is that you can configure it to limit
the size of file attachments. For me, that's been a big issue. During
this Christmas season, one friend bought a new digital camera and
proceeded to bombard me with high-resolution photos (around 11 megabytes
per photo) of his family and Christmas tree. I don't have broadband, so
just one photo was a 2-hour download! Another friend, who uses Windows
exclusively, sent me an 8-megabyte Unix program that somebody told him
was "good" though he didn't know the name of the program or what it was
for. With friends like this, who needs enemies.

Anyway, with Animail, this problem has disappeared. I can limit all file
attachments to any size I choose, and if the attached file exceeds that
size, it's automatically deleted from the mail server, so no need to
download it. Superb!

You can also use it to filter out (without downloading) messages from
people you'd rather not hear from (perhaps after this rave, you'll use
it to filter out messages from me?).

I found an Animail deb package here:
http://freshmeat.net/releases/102525/
     and here:
http://animail.sourceforge.net/

Sorry if I'm foaming at the mouth. I'll go now.

regards,
Robert