Re: KDE3 -- wich packages to download

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 12:37:41PM -0900, Andy wrote:

> Dammit.  I just tried this on my workstation and it kept 55 packages
> back and did not upgrade completely.  Now when I click on the
> reply button in Kmail the whole application quits.  <sigh>
>
> I was hoping this would be easy and painless.
>
> How do I get out of this mess?  Move forward and try to get KDE 3.x
> in there or try to undo what I did already?

Generally the best way to do it is to 'apt-get remove --purge' your
existing packages and install from there since quite a bit has changed
and they're still in development. Generally once you've done this you
won't have to do it again.  You'll still get to keep your user prefs and
so on.  Just make sure you remove your arts stuff as well.
I found that the package install went fine after this. I missed a few
things which I removed with 'dpkg -r' then I was fine.

Cheers,
 Graeme