Re: Desperate for Mplayer apt sources[SOLVED] ... Onto another problem with gnome :(

On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 09:38:05PM -0700, desiderata@softhome.net wrote:
> I hashed some outside apt sources and it somehow fixed up the dependencies
> of libxvidencore0, mplayer seems to download now. Thanks :)
>
> another prob:
>
> After rebooting I logged on the usual gnome wm but it just flashes a bit
> and throws me back to gdm. Kde works though.
> I figure the bogus outside sources could be the reason for all this .... I
> just updated gnome last night with plenty of errors (my fault for updating
> via damaged apt sources). My XF86 logs doesn't explain much or I could be
> looking at the wrong logs. Can anyone help?

First step would be to check error files for clues as to what is happening.
Look in ~/.gnome-errors. Also, check log files in /var/log/gdm directory.
For a problem occuring with X itself, look at /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

You could also run aptitude (or dselect) and check gnome packages for
installation status.

--
Jerome