Re: Switching to GNOME2

On Sunday 05 January 2003 02:25 am, Jeremy Tan wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Jan 2003 22:46:55 -0600, "Scott C. Linnenbringer"
>
> <sl@eskimo.com> wrote :
> > Secondly, I want to customize the theme. I've decided to use Metacity,
> > but I assume I have to use a GTK theme, too, to get the themed
> > menubar, buttons, boxes, et cetera. I've been able to use apt to
> > download some themes, but all of the ones I grab from Freshmeat only
> > change the coloring scheme. The interface still looks the same other
> > than a new color.
>
> More GNOME themes are available at http://art.gnome.org. I personally
> use the mist engine, available at
> http://primates.ximian.com/~dave/mist/.
> It comes with both the GTK and GTK2 themes. It makes minor changes
> to the way the UI looks instead of just changing the color of the theme.

Judging from the screenshots, I like mist and wish to try it. However, I'm
very confused. I have successfully built and installed it, but I have no idea
how to enable it. As it is not located in the theme selector, where do I
enable it? Also, I'm equally confused as to how themes work in GNOME. I know
I need a Metacity theme too, which I have working (and the mist engine
contains a metacity theme, too, right?), and I assume I need a GTK+ theme for
a themed UI. Is this correct? Will I need a GTK1 theme to create a themed UI
for GTK1 applications?

I guess I better get out of this KDE mentality. And thanks to everyone who
replied.

> > Thirdly, I plan on using pan as my newsclient and am looking for a
> > mailer. Sylpheed looks good, and it will be the one I intend to use if
> > no others are found, but it doesn't utilize GTK2. What other options
> > do I have?
>
> Balsa utilizes GTK2. I haven't tried it out yet though. I use
> Sylpheed-claws (http://sylpheed-claws.sourceforge.net/) for reading all
> mail from mailing lists since its amazingly fast. I also use Evolution
> for
> all my personal email and calendering needs.

Thanks. Balsa and Sylpheed looks like what I'll look at, as I want a
lightweight and fast, standalone email client as opposed to something like
Evolution.

--
Scott C. Linnenbringer
finger sl at eskimo.com