Re: /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2003-01-05 13:40:44 +0000]:

> > How is it possible to know that it is marked as a conffile?
>
> Find the package in which it resides (using 'dpkg -S' or 'dlocate'),
> then run 'dpkg -s <package>'. The conffiles will be listed.

It is exactly what I was asking for.  However it is not what I was
hoping for.

Reading the man page in detail I can see why I never would have put
those two things together.  Nothing in there says I should be using
this option to look for conf files.

       dpkg -s | --status package-name ...
              plays the entry in the installed package status
              database.  Report status of specified package. This just
              displays the entry in the installed package status
              database.

I had tried the -p option.  Which is very similar.  But it does not
display the conffiles like this -s option does.  One would have to
"become familar with _all_ available information" [US-FAR 91.103
Preflight Action] in order have discerned this capability.

I think I will wishlist an item for dpkg such that it would include an
option to directly list out the conf files.  Similar to the 'rpm -qc'
capability.  Because I can't think of a way to improve the
documentation sufficiently to cover this point.  The raw data is
immediately available in /var/lib/dpkg/info for the program to dump
out in this case and so this would be a simple feature.

Thanks
Bob