Re: /etc/resolv.conf keeps getting overwritten

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> [2003-01-05 03:58:02 +0000]:
> On Sat, Jan 04, 2003 at 05:23:13PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > Of course, if apt-get ever updates dhclient, the package may overwrite
> > /etc/dhclient-script, so keep a seperate copy!!!!
>
> No, it won't. /etc/dhclient-script is marked as a conffile, so if you've
> made local changes then they will be preserved; you'll be prompted to
> merge changes from the package's copy if there are any.

How is it possible to know that it is marked as a conffile?  Being a
script I would not expect it to be conffile.  But being in /etc/ I
expect it would be a conffile.

One can pull the package source and look in the debian directory for
the dhcp-client.conffiles and see if it is listed there, or look in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/dhcp-client.conffiles where it is installed.  But I
believe those are more complicated methods than the newbie would be
expected to execute.

Is there an easier way?  I have not been able to find a way to, say,
query dpkg's database for this information more directly.

Thanks
Bob