Radeon Mobility M6/LY problem

Greetings,
I recently purchased an hp pavilion xt345 laptop, which has an ATI Radeon Mobility M6 video card. Following some things that I'd read online, I used the 'radeon' driver in my X configuration. My problem is this: about 1/2 the time when I start X, something goes wrong and it appears as if some sort of refresh rate is incorrect. It's clearly trying to display the correct thing, but it shows things out of place and 'shaking'. If I switch to a terminal and back into X a few times, the problem goes away (until I switch back to a terminal again). Sometimes X starts up fine. The same problems happen when I use radeon-fb. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I would think that it has to do with the refresh rates in my X config file, but I don't understand why it would work fine half the time, in that case.
Please CC me in any replies.
Thanks!
--Matt