Re: fetchmail can't send to exim

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 05:04:06PM -0700, J. Scott Edwards wrote:
>
> For logs, look in /var/log/exim.
>
> | That got it, it works great now!  Thanks!
> |
> | Now of course I can't send mail out :<
>
> That means exim isn't configured quite right.  (or perhaps your mail
> client isn't, but I can't tell what it is)
>

> | Can anyone suggest a mail client that can send it via IMAP (M$
> | Exchange)?
>
> Nope.  IMAP is for receiving mail, not sending.  Mail is sent via the
> SMTP protocol.  Some mail clients (most commonly found on mac or
> windows machines since they most commonly lack a mail server but are
> becoming more common on linux systems) have minimal SMTP support
> built-in.  Other mail clients (such as 'mail', mutt, and other mature
> unix-based clients) rely on the system's MTA (exim) to deliver the
> mail.  In that case you need to have exim configured completely
> correctly for mail to be sent.  What mail client are you using?

I'm just using 'mail' for the time being.  I configured exim to relay
it to the exchange server, but it isn't configured to allow relay, and I
have no control over it.  I guess I could just configure exim to send it
itself, but I need some way so that it doesn't inclue the debian host's
name in the 'from' address so that it is the same as if it came from the
exchange server.

Thanks
  -Scott