Re: users and x/gdm

Karsten M. Self declaimed:
> on Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 03:47:08PM -0500, George Georgalis (george@galis.org) wrote:
> > Something seems wrong with the archives at the moment...
> >

> > I just finished walking remote hands through a not so simple x
> > configuration. whew.
> >
> > now a user can 'startx' and use the session, but with gdm the session
> > starts then immediately returns to the gdm login.
> >
> > I presume there is a permissions problem here... how do I enable users
> > with console access (or users in a group) to access (run) the xserver?
>
> In /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config:
>
>     allowed_users=console
>
> You should be able to manage this setting with:
>
>     # dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common
>
> man 5 Xwrapper.config for more information.
>
> Peace.

I had a similar problem with an account on a RH Linux system. The
solution was to change the last line of my .xsession file from

/usr/bin/blackbox       # Works with gdm on my Debian/Sarge system

exec /usr/bin/blackbox  # Works with gdm on RH 7/8

The Debian system's /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config file has the line described
by Karsten, the RH system doesn't have that file. Note that I don't know
_why_ my solution works...

HTH, PM
--
Paul Mackinney