glade alocal.m4 error

I'm trying to learn GUI C/C++ programming and decided to give Glade a
whirl.

I installed the Glade-Gnome package (testing) and fired it up.  No
problems and I went through a tutorial quickly.  However, when executing
a build via ./autogen.sh, I got the following error:

----------------------------------
Please add the files
  codeset.m4 gettext.m4 glibc21.m4 iconv.m4 isc-posix.m4 lcmessage.m4
  progtest.m4
from the /usr/share/aclocal directory to your autoconf macro directory
or directly to your aclocal.m4 file.
You will also need config.guess and config.sub, which you can get from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/config/.

Making ./aclocal.m4 writable ...
Running aclocal  -I macros ...
aclocal: configure.in: 17: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library
aclocal: configure.in: 17: macro `AM_PATH_GTK' not found in library

**Error**: aclocal failed. This may mean that you have not
installed all of the packages you need, or you may need to
set ACLOCAL_FLAGS to include "-I $prefix/share/aclocal"
for the prefix where you installed the packages whose
macros were not found
-----------------------------------

O.k., so I went and got the m4 files from /usr/share/aclocal and put a
copy of them in my project's macro directory.

I also did:   export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /usr/share/aclocal/"

and it still gives me the same error about not finding 'AM_PATH_GTK' in
the library.

Every reference to this error that I can find in google tells me to do
exactly what I've already done.

Would appreciate any tips.  I'm sure it's going to be one of those "duh,
I should've seen that" type of thing.

Thanks
Kevin

--