Re: Debian Woody (2.4 kernel) testing and Blackdown J2SDK 1.3.1

Thanks Rob,

This is not Eclipse -specific. I used to get the same error with other
Java Demos, only I can't verify it now because the fricking Java3D
installer kicked out all the other demos!!!

I think I got this every time I tried one of the demos that are
packaged as a *.jar. those that come as classes usually worked.

... at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open (Native Method) at
java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:110)

Java/util is part of the core java language and can't be missing. ..And
doesn't seem to be missing. It seems to behave as if some other file it
depends on is missing.
The file it wants to open should be the *.jar file that is specified in
the java.. command and that is definitely THERE, if I try to invoke
java -jar with some nonexistant file the error message is different.

Hence, it seems the native method java.util.zip.ZipFile.open() that is
part of the Binary from Blackdown must be faulty.
Then again, that seems hardly possible because most Java applications
come as a *.jar so it would surely have been detected.
Considering all this, a problem with a library (*.so) that is used by
the JVM (libjvm.so) seems to make most sense. That could conceivably be
a ZIP library, wrong version number or something, and I would have
expected dselect to inform me about any such missing or conflicting
library.

Is maybe something wrong with my sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/linux/devel/lang/java/blackdown.org/debian
woody main non-free

clueless,

Lukas

--- Rob Weir <rweir@softhome.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 05:00:20AM -0800, Lukas Latz wrote:
> > hi all,
> >
> > someone recently mentioned in a java related thread that it was
> > necessary to compile libc or glibc to get Java2 to run, if i
> remember
> > correctly.  is that the case?
>
> No.  Sun's JDK 1.3.1 was broken when used with libc6 2.3.1 (which is
> now
> in sid), but blackdown have released fixed versions of both 1.4 and
> 1.3.
> It was *not* a problem with libc, it was an issue with the JDK; thus
> recompile of libc would not help.
>

> > i'm running "testing", and installed J2SDK1.3.1 from blackdown
> without
> > any apparent problems.
> > some java applications work, including, incredibly, most of the
> java3d
> > demos, but some fail. this is what i get when i try to run Eclipse:
> >
> > Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: No such file
> or
> > directory	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
> > 	at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(ZipFile.java:110)
> > 	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:115)
> > 	at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(JarFile.java:57)
>
> Not sure exactly what the problem is, but it looks like it's missing
> some libraries.  The libc bug I mentioned above produced very
> different
> output anyhow (it complained about __libc_wait).
>
> > as J2SDK 1.3.1 seems *very* standard to me, i gotta admit i was
> kind of
> > shocked to find out it doesn't run although the installer doesn't
> > complain. actually, i had switched from "stable" to "testing" in
> the
> > hope that would make it work.
>
> You didn't really need to do that,
>
> > would it help to switch to "unstable"? the machine is a purely
> > development & fun machine, so i don't need maximum stability.
>
> I doubt it.
>
> > or is it sufficient to do that glibc recompilation?
>
> As in the first paragraph.
>
> My only though is are you sure you've installed all the libraries
> that
> eclipse needs?  It certainly looks like it wants something it can't
> find
> up there.
>
> -rob

=====
    ** lukaslatz@yahoo.com    m. +31 (0) 6  19544439 **
    **                        t. +31 (0) 10 418 2023 **
    ** philips willemstraat 14B2   3051 PP rotterdam **
    ** IT'S A MAN'S WORLD DESIGNING TACKY INTERFACES **
    **         http://www.bambleweeny.com            **