Re: SuEXEC and CGI to two VirtualHosts

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Michael Olds wrote:

> I believe I have traced my problem in setting up CGI bins on two
> VirtualHosts to the fact that SuEXEC is incorrectly configured (it is
> enabled and I get "suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/lib/apache/suexec".)
> The error I get is: "cannot get docroot information /var/www" (the Debian
> Apache default docroot).

That's typically either a permsissions problem or can chdir to a
directory.  It might be that you have group write perms on a directory.
Look at the suexec docs at what it goes through to before it will run a
user's script.  That might give you ideas where to look.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/suexec.html  Look at "suEXEC Security Model".

Another very useful trick is to run httpd -X (single process mode) and
then use strace -- although I'm not sure if strace will follow the forks.
You look for a failed system call and that's noramlly the problem.  But it
might be easier to try and follow the docs carefully.

> I do not know how I got SuEXEC on there in the first place!
> Does this come as part of the Debian package?

It was included by the debian package builder, I assume.

> My problem is not knowing how I can reconfigure SuEXEC. The documentation I
> have read says that it needs to be recompiled with apache. But I did not
> compile apache from sources to begin with.

No you don't need to do that.

--
Bill Moseley moseley@hank.org