Re: Security Question

On Fri, Jan 03, 2003 at 08:54:27AM -0800, John Gedeon wrote:
> I had another question that is related to my IT guys response:
>    When I compiled their vpn client, it was looking for modversions.h
> which I found you had to run make old-config (not sure of exact command) to
> get the source to generate that file.

'make dep' is enough, I think.

> Once I did that I got tons of compile errors in their code. When I
> approached them about it they told me that they only tested it on Red
> Hat 6.2 with glibc 2.1.1-6 with kernel 2.2.12 and claimed any
> compatible versions will work. (that's also when they said that Debian
> was a beta OS)

*ahem*

I *really* wouldn't bother trying to convince them. It's not worth
fighting with people like that.

>   My installation of Debian is with kernel 2.2.20, I have libstdc
> 2.10-glibc2.2 installed and they claim that glibc 2.1.1-6 or higher will
> work. They told me to make sure that my glibc was compatible with Red
> Hat's, I figured they were the same but wanted to know if that was true.

There have been plenty of changes in newer versions of glibc. Sometimes
code has to change to cope. Usually, though, it's just changing to be
more correct. Compatibility problems between the same version of glibc
in different distributions are rare, though, and claiming that as a
first response to a problem is foolish.

> > I get the following compile time errors: linuxcniapi.c: In
> > function `CNI_LINUXGetMacAddress': linuxcniapi.c:1118:
> > dereferencing pointer to incomplete type linuxcniapi.c:1120:

Can we see a few lines of code around those locations in that file?