Re: which files can be safely deleted?

On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 06:39, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:33:15AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 04:51:14PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:
> > > i was wondering if there are any other redundant log files etc that i
> > > can delete to make more space available. i for instance know that exim
> > > keeps a log and it can be safely deleted. any other files?
> >
> > Install deborphan and run it every once in a while.  Every few months
> > it probably doesn't hurt to have it scrap the keeper file.  This will
> > trim the fat among debian packages.
>
> oh sure. i am already doing that.
>
> > On my system at least, /usr/src occasionally bloats to ungodly
> > proportions if I've been doing a lot of stuff by hand.
>
> i do not do any programming. /usr/src is empty! or compilation, etc.
>
> > /usr/local/ will get up there, too, if you install commercial software
> > (like games from id Software or Loki Linux Entertainment[1]).
>
> i do not do this either. :)
>
> > If /var/log is building up larger than you are comfortable with, check
> > out the logrotate documentation to automate trimming things down a bit
> > more.
>
> sure. i will do this. i had been manually trimming my logfiles so far.
>

> --
> regards,
>
> sandip p deshmukh
> ------***--------

I'd also add one package: cruft

This takes a while to run, but it goes through the entire system and
reports stuff that wasn't put on the machine as part of the currently
installed packages - things such as outdated configuration files,
misplaced files and the like. It doesn't complain about what is in
/home, so users' stuff shouldn't be part of the list (unless it is
grotesquely misplaced.) Now, if you are installing stuff outside the
apt-get/dpkg/alien package management, those will show up on this list.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org