Re: which files can be safely deleted?

Sandip P Deshmukh said:

> i was wondering if there are any other redundant log files etc that i can
> delete to make more space available. i for instance know that exim keeps a
> log and it can be safely deleted. any other files?

if your that tight on space you may not need documentation, so I
would say remove any *doc packages you have as well as manpages then
erase /usr/share/man and /usr/share/doc that is 74MB worth of data on
my system here. It would be better to remove this then to remove log files.
You could also configure logrotate to rotate logs out of existance faster.
Also /usr/share/info can go (remove any info related packages first)

use dpkg -S /path/to/file to find packages that are associated with
certain files.

but the documentation is the best stuff to delete, most of it is
available online anyways. a quick search reveals that debian manual
pages are available here:
http://www.math.u-szeged.hu/dwww/

looks like general docs from /usr/share/doc are there as well. I don't
know if this is a private site or public, or if it may go away in
the future though.

nate