Re: dist-upgrade (potato->woody): how to get X back up?

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 08:09:31AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:31:45PM -0800, nate wrote:
> > will trillich said:
> >
> > > attached is the /var/log/XFree86.0.log file (sorry for the size)... hope
> > > it sheds some light on this. i'd love to get X working
> > > again. (why was it so easy in potato? was i just lucky?)
> >
> > sounds to me like /dev/mouse doesn't point to your mouse device. this
> > is a very common problem when running X -configure
> >
> > if your mouse is PS/2 do:
> >
> > cd /dev
> > ln -s psaux mouse
> >
> > if it's something else..well then you may need another driver(s) for
> > USB or something before starting X, I think the default usb mouse
> > device in debian 3.0 is /dev/input/mice or something
>
> it's an elder box -- the mouse is a 9-pin, 2-row arrangement
> (db-9 i believe) which apparently indicates a serial device?
>
> gpm works fine in console mode... is there a way to funnel the
> gpmdata thru to X?

>From your log, it looks a bit as if your mouse isn't configured
properly, or at all, in XF86Config. X is using "Auto" to try and work
out what it is, and failing. Have a look at /etc/X11/XF86Config itself
and see what's in the InputDevice section for mice.

I dunno much about the automatic X config tools; I ran xf86config to
get a basic setup and then hacked /etc/X11/XF86Config by hand.
(Generally I reckon this is easier, and also seems to be the only way
to force it to do 100Hz vertical refresh.)

A lot of people are referring to XF86Config-4 instead of XF86Config
these days. My compiled-from-xfree's-own-source X 4.2 calls it
XF86Config, but presumably the Debianised version calls it by the new
name. Perhaps someone else could clarify this?

Your mouse is indeed a serial mouse. Option "Protocol" "Microsoft"
should work. (A rare sentence combining "should work" and "Microsoft".)

You can funnel gpm data through to X by using gpm with the -R option
and setting Option "Device" "/dev/gpmdata" in XF86Config. The slink
version of gpm apparently only repeats in Mouse Systems protocol.
Later versions can repeat the raw data. See man gpm for the options. I
can't tell you because my man page is for my old gpm. If you can't
figure it out you can always use Option "Protocol" "MouseSystems".

If you DON'T set up gpm to repeat the mouse won't work in X anyway
unless you kill gpm before you startx.

Pigeon