Re: Help configuring old mozilla compile

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 10:12:35AM -0800, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> try
>
> ldd -v /path/to/executable
>
> To see what it's looking for and where.  Then you can use
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH to override its search path with a righteous one.

Hey, that is one neat command. Very useful to know that!

OK. The original error has been solved. Somehow I'd got a symlink to
the woody libstdc++ but without the actual so being there - this on a
slink system.

OK, phoenix has obviously been compiled against newer libs than slink,
which is not really surprising, but it's been linked dynamic instead
of static, so its portability has been compromised. So I've given it a
directory tree with the relevant woody libs in it, and it can now find
them, but I still get an error:

libc.so.6: undefined symbol: _dl_initial_searchlist

I'm guessing that this is because phoenix is trying to use the slink
dynamic loader (_dl ?), which in turn can't see the results of the chroot
ldconfig I did in the phoenix directory tree. Indeed, ldd -v reveals
that it is looking for /lib/ld-linux.so.2, with a full pathname, so
LD_LIBRARY_PATH isn't gonna touch that.

The obvious solution is to recompile from source, but the source isn't
there, the phoenix download page only has the binary - WHAAT??
I suppose I could expand my 'mini-woody' tree to contain X and all the
networking stuff, and simply chroot into it to run phoenix. But with
all that in it, it wouldn't be very 'mini' anymore.

Is there a more powerful hack than LD_LIBRARY_PATH? Is there a sort of
'partial chroot' that can preserve access to specified directories
outside the chrooted-into tree? Is there a URL from which I can
download the phoenix source?

Pigeon