Re: Updates to Sarge?

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 13:45, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 01:39:25PM -0500, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 10:02, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Correct. Nothing meaningful in sarge will change until somebody fixes
> > > glibc. Also, testing updates were temporarily stopped after the fiery
> > > death of non-us.debian.org; see debian-devel recently.
> >
> > Okay, so my question and potential reasons weren't wild and scurrilous
> > speculation on my part this time.
>
> :-)
>
> > Should we expect that when glibc is ready, we will be looking at an
> > apt-get upgrade for a system pinned to Testing will prove to be > 100
> > packages?
>
> It wouldn't surprise me. There are currently 900 packages waiting for a
> fixed glibc (although they may be waiting for other things too, so take
> that figure with a pinch of salt).
>
> If aj decides to restart the testing scripts (he commented that there
> wasn't much point at the moment since glibc was stuck), a few
> documentation updates or updates to packages based on certain scripting
> languages might make it through, but that's about it.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                  [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Ouch - my guess is that those won't all install without a dist-upgrade
to handle at least a few inter-related dependencies. Does that also
include gcc 3.2 recompilation of code, or is that something else still
coming down the stream?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org