Re: recover ext3 deletion

nate wrote:
I have no suggestions other then do backups, but I feel your pain. There
are methods that can be implimented in linux to help restore files(try
searching freshmeat for undelete) but last I looked they required the
methods to be implimented at the time of the deletion.

You know, it'd be really nice if the installation disks would offer to set up basic backup services for you. It could be as simple as offering to make a crontab entry to tar /etc and /home and dropping an "undelete" script in /usr/bin. It seems a little odd that most operating system distributions will set up your mail, network, file system, and so on, but don't try to give you even basic backup systems. Windows gets partway there with the trash can, I guess, but it seems like this'd be one place where Debian could really distinguish itself. Experts wouldn't need it, but it might save a lot of home users a lot of grief.

- Jeff (backups are still on my to-do list as well)