Re: recover ext3 deletion

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 09:45:40PM +0000, Harvey Kelly wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Oh my.  I cannot believe what I did.
>
> # rm -rf *
>
> Whilst in my /home directory - I thought I was in /floppy.
>
> I've been digging around and stumbled across recover, but seem unable
> (?) to get it to work, though I have ext3, not ext2 on the drive.  I run
> as root:
> recover -a
>
> Scanning devices...
> Ext2 devices:
> recover: No valid standard devices found; are you a privileged user?
>
> If your device is not listed, you can still use it
> Please enter the partition's device name
>
> <To which I enter /dev/hda7>
>
> Getting inodes (this can take some time)...
> debugfs 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> Terminated
>
> And I'm back at the prompt, with nothing recovered as I can tell.
> Please, where am I going wrong?  In addition to losing everything (no
> back-ups, I know, I know), a 3,000 word essay due in Monday has been lost.

As far as I am aware debugfs can cope with an ext3 filesystem so see if
this helps.

As root type debugfs /dev/hdb7 at the prompt.  You should see something
like this.

debugfs 1.30-WIP (30-Sep-2002)
debugfs:

Now enter lsdel for a list of deleted inodes, file sizes and deletion
times.  The output is piped through a pager.  You will have to use file
size and deletion time as a guide to which file you want to recover.

The final step is

debugfs: dump <inode number> /tmp/foo.txt

Note the angle brackets.

Ideally you should have unmounted the partition immediately so that
nothing has been written to it.

Brian.