Re: Is my Xserver useing too much memory?

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:47:00PM -0800, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About a year ago I had a machine (since dismantled) that would reliably have
> an Xserver (XF4.x) consume all available memory and cause the system to be
> in an OOM state.
>
> Now in another machine I have a [1]Xserver using a lot of memory again.
> Earlier today, the SIZE of the process was about 64MB, and now it's up to
> 80MB.  Is this normal?  My system has been up for 7 days.
>
> Mike
>
> [1]
>   PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE SWAP  RSS SHARE   D LC %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
>   709 root      15 -10  28607 81876  63M  16M  8520  3K  0  8.2 13.1 384:33 XFree86

I don't recall the details but I believe that the memory use of X (at least
as reported by top isn't regular system ram but is related to the hardware
in your video card.  It's 3am so this probably doesn't make much sense but
try googling for something "Xfree86 using too much ram" or something similar
and I think you'll find that this has been discussed before.

--
Ray