Re: Is my Xserver useing too much memory?

On Friday 01 November 2002 06:47 pm, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> About a year ago I had a machine (since dismantled) that would reliably
> have an Xserver (XF4.x) consume all available memory and cause the system
> to be in an OOM state.
>
> Now in another machine I have a [1]Xserver using a lot of memory again.
> Earlier today, the SIZE of the process was about 64MB, and now it's up to
> 80MB.  Is this normal?  My system has been up for 7 days.
>
> Mike
>
> [1]
>   PID USER     PRI  NI PAGEIN  SIZE SWAP  RSS SHARE   D LC %CPU %MEM   TIME
> COMMAND 709 root      15 -10  28607 81876  63M  16M  8520  3K  0  8.2 13.1
> 384:33 XFree86

You only need to worry if it continues to grow without bound over several
weeks, which I would guess means you have a memory leak in part of the
xserver specific to your video card.

If you have a swap file/partition, this becomes not as important, as the
leaked memory will eventually get pushed out into swap, and will never be
called back in from swap.  I have had leaky X video drivers before, but it
would take months for that alone to fill up a large swap space.

-jason pepas