Re: Is my Xserver useing too much memory?

>From Mike Fedyk <mfedyk@matchmail.com>, on Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 04:47:00PM -0800:
> Now in another machine I have a [1]Xserver using a lot of memory again.
> Earlier today, the SIZE of the process was about 64MB, and now it's up to
> 80MB.  Is this normal?  My system has been up for 7 days.
---end quoted text---

FWIW - I had an experience where it was a poorly written program (my
own:)) that leaked memory in the XFree86 process.  I was mismanaging
pixmaps.  Rather than seeing the memory added to my process, it was
added to X, and not removed when my process shut down.

So I think it can also be a bad application or applet.  You may want
to think about what you have running.  Monitor memory usage as you
start up and shutdown some of the software you run.  If the usage in
XFree86 goes up, but doesn't come back down when you run and stop a
particular program, be suspicious, particularly if it's a graphics
program.

On the other hand the amount that's being used doesn't sound out of
line to me.

Cheers,
Steve

--