ALSA not saving mixer settings

Hi all,

I am experiencing ALSA problems in my system.  The modules are loading
correctly, and setting the volume works, but shutting down and
restarting alsa with "/etc/init.d/alsa stop" followed by
"/etc/init.d/alsa start" does not restore my mixer settings.  In fact,
it zeroes them out.  Here is the copy of their output:

thedebategod@jazzman:~$ su -
Password:
jazzman:~# amixer get PCM
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [on]
jazzman:~# /etc/init.d/alsa stop
Storing ALSA mixer settings...done.
Shutting down ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc3): done.
jazzman:~# /etc/init.d/alsa start
Starting ALSA sound driver (version 0.9.0rc3): intel8x0 (card-intel8x0)
jazzman:~# amixer get PCM
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [off]

I don't know what may have been causing this.  I double checked my alsa
settings today, and I believe that they are fine.  Thanks for the help!

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735