dpkg error messages [was: dselect and apt-get error messages]

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:25:31PM +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to upgrade from potato to woody. I get the following error
> messages:
>
> - When I use dselect: Couldn't perform immediate configuration
> - When I use apt-get install dpkg apt debconf: Couldn't configure a
>   pre-depend
>
> I am running woody, with these versions:
> ii  apt            0.3.19         Advanced front-end for dpkg
> ii  dpkg           1.6.14         Package maintenance system for Debian
> ii  debconf        0.2.80.16      Debian configuration management system
>
> dkpg --audit shows no problems in the current system.
>
> What do these error message indicate, and how can I continue?

Well, not a single helpful hint received.

I did find a workaround myself. It appears that these error messages
are invoked when there is a problem with one of the package files. In
my case, one of the CD-ROMs of woody, the 'Unofficial Extras' CD-ROM,
caused 'apt-cdrom add' to write a weird source line in the
sources.list. When I left that CD out, upgrading went well.

I believe a similar error can be invoked when you create a local
repository without a Package file. In that case dselect Update does
give an error message, but when you ignore it and do Select and
Install, a similar error message is shown.

Such errors should be caught with a clearer error message, telling one
how the problem can be solved.

Sammy

--
Simon Pepping