Re: dpkg error messages [was: dselect and apt-get error messages]

On Sat, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:56:24PM +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 05:25:31PM +0100, Simon Pepping wrote:
> > I am trying to upgrade from potato to woody. I get the following error
> > messages:
> >
> > - When I use dselect: Couldn't perform immediate configuration
> > - When I use apt-get install dpkg apt debconf: Couldn't configure a
> >   pre-depend
[...]
> Such errors should be caught with a clearer error message, telling one
> how the problem can be solved.

This kind of problem appears to be fixed in apt CVS (i.e. an unreleased
version):

  * "Internal Error, Couldn't configure pre-depend" is not actually an
    internal error, it is a packaging error and now it says so, and
    pinpoints the problem dependency.

By the way, your Mail-Followup-To: line told my mailer to send a copy to
'Simon Pepping <simon@murphy.debian.org>', which isn't correct. I
adjusted it for my mail, but you might want to fix your mailer
configuration.

Cheers,