Re: X causes system 'black screeen of death'

Nate-

On Thursday 31 October 2002 08:05 pm, nate wrote:
> DeanFujioka said:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > When I boot my new install of Woody, I can see boot messages until it
> > loads  gdm, then the screen goes black. At this point I can't press the
> > Numlock key  to get the light to go on/off. I can't change terminals
> > either (Alt+Ctrl+F2),  Alt+F4, etc.
>
> you don't include much details.
what details would you like?

>luckily your redhat is working,
yeah, it gives me a base to compare with my other installs

>I reccomend comparing the X config between debian and redhat and see
> what is different.
I've tried making them the same...
{{From previous message}}
I've tried cutting
and pasting the card and monitor device sections and pasting them into the
Woody's XF86Config-4 file from the working Redhat XF86Config-4 file, with the
same black screen of death. I've tried copying the file in whole with no
avail as well.

>Also check what video chip you have, it may not
> be fully supported(or at all) in the version of X that ships with
> the default debian system.
it's a S3 savage 4 pro (but it's onboard)
i'm using the 'savage' driver.
this page
http://www.xfree86.org/4.1.0/Status28.html#28
suggests that it is supported...

>Especially some newer ATI cards I have
> heard that require XF86 4.2 to work right, Debian stable ships with
> XF86 4.1

oops, I'd have been looking in current instead of 4.1- thnx

> nate

thanks for the pointers nate,
dean