Re: help compiling everybuddy-0.4.3 on Woody

* Mike Pfleger (pfleger@pfleger-precision.com) [020929 18:24]:
> * Vineet Kumar (debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net) wrote:
> > If it's still just not working, how about downloading the debian package
> > source (apt-get source everybuddy) and looking at how it's done there?
>
> That makes me think of something, and pardon me please if this is an
> obvious question.  Is there anything that stops me from grabbing the
> source from unstable (assuming it's new enough) and trying to build it
> on Woody?  And the stumbling block would be lib dependencies, I'd guess
> based on my limited experience building packages.  Although I'd expect
> that I'd have gotten errors about that when I tried to configure the
> upstream source... (?)

It should work fine.  The only reason I didn't suggest it straightaway
is that Debian only yet has 0.4.2, not 0.4.3 .  If you don't mind being
one minor number behind, using the debian package should be fine.

You then have 2 routes to choose between:

(1) Just install the package from sid.  This will work if you are
comfortable with running a mixed sarge/sid system, and are reasonably
comfortable with /etc/apt/preferences

(2) build your own .deb from the sid source package. You should be fine
downloading the source package from sid and building it locally.  If
there are any dependencies, "apt-get -t unstable build-dep everybuddy"
should let you know about and get around them.

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/