Re: Partitioning large disks on potato

On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 06:14:10PM -0700, nate wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout said:
> > [Please CC any replies. I'm subscribed to other debian lists, but not
> > this one]
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to partition a 160GB disk on potato with kernel 2.4.17. Both
> > fdisk and cfdisk die with SIGXFSZ. Even dd is getting killed after 4GB.
> > Did potato really have no large file support? Why is it that I've never
> > noticed before? I've been using 2.2 kernels for a long time before this.
>
> what kind of disk and what controller? is it a single IDE disk? if
> so you may need a patch for 48-bit IDE addressing.

Thanks but it's a hardware RAID controller that appears as a SCSI disk. It's
/dev/sda that I'm trying to partition. If i do only primary partitions it
works fine because then cfdisk doesn't need to seek so much.

> I have partitioned/formatted 220GB disks (6x80GB in raid10 connected
> to a 3ware raid card) without any trouble under debian potato/2.2.19,
> it should work fine under 2.4.x, I am thinking its an addressing problem
> though.

Hehe, this is a 3ware raid card also yet the partitioning is being
problematic. I don't understand it. Maybe I should just stick to 4
partitions :).