Partitioning large disks on potato

[Please CC any replies. I'm subscribed to other debian lists, but not this
one]

Hi,

I'm trying to partition a 160GB disk on potato with kernel 2.4.17.
Both fdisk and cfdisk die with SIGXFSZ. Even dd is getting killed after 4GB.
Did potato really have no large file support? Why is it that I've never
noticed before? I've been using 2.2 kernels for a long time before this.

Thanks in advance,