Setting up Sendmail

Hello,

Woody.

I am having some difficulty getting Sendmail up and running.
I installed the program apparently with no problems. I ran: sendmailconfig
after the install, also apparently no problems, no errors reported. But
nothing works either. So I looked in /etc/mail/ and there is no sendmail.cf
so I tried running sendmailconfig again and it asked if it should configure
using the existing sendmail .conf and I said yes. And it reported there was
no /usr/sbin/update_conf which there isn't as it's in /usr/share/sendmail/

(Question one: could I just move it to where it wants?)

There is no existing sendmail.conf in /etc/mail/ either.

When I tried to create a sendmail.cf using:

cd /etc/mail
m4 /usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4 I first got a permission denied and saw
that the files in /m4/ were all marked non executable. I marked them
executable but I am not sure if that was the right thing to do.

I re-ran m4 etc and got this error message:
NONE:0:m4: ERROR: EOF in string

I tried looking up EOF (?end of file?) on Google where there are many
references and no explanations.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program several times and I always
end up at this spot. Does anyone know how I get out of this?

Thanks in advance,