Locale en_US and sorting order

I have been using the locale en_US.UTF-8 for unicode, and I noticed
that the sorting order is different than the default 'C' locale.  With
en_US the case is folded, so 'A' sorts the same as 'a', but with the
'C' locale the uppercase always come before lowercase.  I don't just
mean the sort program, but also the output of ls and file globbing.
I've been using different versions of unix for 15-20 years and the old
system is thoroughly burned into my brain, so I would like to get it
back.  Does anybody know how to change back, or is the current system
even considered a bug?

Thanks.
--
Carl Johnson		carlj@peak.org